You deserve to keep your money, especially during tax season. United Way’s Earn It! Keep It! $ave It! (EKS) provides free, quality tax return preparation to individuals, families, and seniors who earn $60,000 or less. Being a U.S. citizen is NOT a requirement. In 2019, EKS brought more than $9 million dollars in tax refunds to residents in Sonoma, Lake, Mendocino, Humboldt and Del Norte counties. Through this United Way led coalition of more than 30 tax preparation sites, more than 6,600 individuals and families were able to file taxes for free between January and May.
Find out if you qualify and schedule your appointment by phone or online today:
Sonoma - Dial/Marque 2-1-1 or 800-325-9604
Mendocino/Lake - Dial/Marque 707-467-3236 or or Schedule your Medocino/Lake appointment online by clicking here.
Humboldt - Dial/Marque 2-1-1 or 707-441-1001
Del Norte - Dial/Marque 707-464-3069 EXT. 208
Want to file your taxes at home for free? MyFreeTaxes (Free for up to $66,000 combined household income)
What to bring with you to your EKS tax appointment:
Once you know if you qualify for free tax preparation and have scheduled your appointment, be sure to bring all of the following information to your appointment:
1. Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
2. Original Social Security Card or ITIN for each person on tax return (copies accepted). Contact your local Social Security office to make an appointment to order a copy if you cannot find yours prior to your tax appointment.
3. W-2 or 1099-MISC for all jobs held in 2019
4. All 1098’s, 1099’s, 1095-A’s and any other tax forms
5. Voided check or savings account and routing # for directed deposit refund
6. Last year’s tax return (if available)
7. Childcare provider information with name, address, etc.
8. Landlord’s name, address and phone number for renter’s credit
The United Way led Earn It! Keep It! Save It! (EKS) coalition provides free, quality tax return preparation to low-to-moderate income community members in Sonoma, Lake, Mendocino, Humboldt and Del Norte counties. We train volunteers to help individuals and families claim their maximum refund because it is our mission to provide free tax preparation service as a tool to help local residents become financially stable.
Key Findings from the 2019 Tax Season
Read the full Earn It! Keep It! Save It! Executive Summary here!
The Earn It! Keep It! $ave It! program has been recognized as a promising practice by Upsteam Investments.
Listen to our own Suzanne Yeomans in this KZST Sonoma County's Talking interview with Ted Williams from March 2018.